Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chili

Here is an email that we received from one of our participants, Heather Larson:


Here is a recipe from the Body For Life cookbook. I love a bowl of chili every now and then - hearty and filling!

I used a lean ground beef in mine, but ground turkey would be good too. I have a lot of fresh tomatoes on hand, so instead of using a 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes I just cut up 4-5 fresh ones and tossed them in. This also makes for great leftovers- which is great because I know I can heat up a bowl of this for lunch or dinner if I am not feeling motivated or don't have the time- saves you from a drive-in disaster!

CHILI

8 portions lean ground beef (about 2 pounds) **I used 1 lb.**
1 white onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 C fresh Italian parsley, chopped **I used dried parsely**
3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped **I used 1**
1/3 C fresh red chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3 cans low fat, reduced sodium beef broth
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) chili beans
**I also add one 15 oz can of black beans**
reduced fat cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)


Thanks for the recipe!


If you have a recipe to share, please email it to us at eightweekstoabetteryou@hotmail.com

Also, be sure to check out the salads tab, Karli posted a delicious salad recipe!
Pin It!

1 comment: